Monday, March 7, 2011

Grace To Stand

I subscribed to BlueLetterBible.org's daily Bible reading (chronological order).  Made it through the flood and met Abram - now we're in Job.  Cool to think that Abraham and Job were contemporaries.  Makes me feel really silly to admit...but not until about 3 years ago did I realize the Bible is not written in chronological order from Genesis to Revelation!

Enough about my naivety!  Back to the book of Job. The absolute devastation the enemy was allowed to rain down on Job makes me shiver.  The enemy wants nothing more than to bring down the faithful followers of the one true God.  So thankful for Job's faith...and his transparency.

As I was reading through one of Charles Spurgeon's commentaries on the first chapters of Job, this quote practically leaped out of my screen:  "Oh may God grant us grace, as a Church, to stand against the wiles of Satan and his attacks, that having done his worst he may gain no advantage over us, and after having considered, and considered again, and counted well our towers and bulwarks, he may be compelled to retire because his battering rams cannot jar so much as a stone from our ramparts, and his slings cannot slay one single soldier on the walls."

No comments:

Post a Comment