Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Get To The Point!

In Romans 3:23, Paul writes "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  Reading through the book of Job, I'm having trouble lining this verse up with what's said about Job.  In chapter 1:1, the writer of Job says:  "This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil."  God himself points out Job's goodness.  In verse 8, the LORD asks Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job?  There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."  Satan argues that the only reason Job is upright and blameless is because he is under God's protection and blessing.  "but stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."  I wonder if Satan was surprised when God gave over everything Job had into Satan's hands (except Job himself).  Satan takes it as far as he possibly can and destroys everything Job could call his own - his possessions and his children.  Yet, "In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing."  (Job 1:22)


When God calls Satan on this in chapter 2, "There's no one quite like him [Job], is there - honest and true to his word, totally devoted to God and hating evil?  He still has a firm grip on his integrity!  You tried to trick me into destroying him, but it didn't work."  Satan tries a different approach this time, saying, "A human would do anything to save his life.  But what do you think would happen if you reached down and took away his health?  He'd curse you to your face, that's what."  Surprisingly, God gives Satan permission to do whatever he'd like with Job, except take his life.  So Satan strikes Job with horrible boils all over his body.  In verse 8 of chapter 2, it says "Job was ulcers from head to foot.  They itched and oozed so badly that he took a piece of broken pottery to scrape himself, then went and sat on a trash heap, among the ashes."  And then, even after his wife called him a fool and tried to persuade him to curse God, Job's response is: "You're talking like an empty-headed fool.  We take the good days from God - why not also the bad days?"  Not once did through all this did Job sin.  He said nothing against God.


How is this possible?  How can a mere mortal be upright and righteous in everything?


This divine drama plays out beyond what Job and his three friends, Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar can see.  In chapter 32, Job's "wise" friends finally shut up.  And Elihu takes up where they left off.  For FIVE chapters!  But in chapter 38, God takes center stage.  It's.  About.  Time.  I'm ready to be to the end...I'm tired of the back and forth.  I keep finding myself wondering why there are 37 chapters of human arguments...the back and forth of human wisdom.  Just get to the point already.  I want God's response.  Perhaps that's the whole point!  I wonder how often God wants me to get to the place of desiring His response alone?  I often read commentaries to discern what God's saying, seek the counsel of the saints, listen to common sense, or seek out circumstantial signs.  Granted, these are all things God uses to communicate with me.  But, how often do I simply listen for His still, small voice?  Hmmm...


And so, even though I'm not supposed to get there for two more days, and I started to read commentaries to answer my questions...today, I opted to read through to the end of the book of Job.  God lays it all out.  He holds nothing back.  I love Job's response:  "I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything.  Nothing and no one can upset your plans.  You asked, 'Who is this muddying the water, ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?' I admit it.  I was the one.  I babbled on about things far beyond me, made small talk about wonders way over my head.  You told me, 'Listen, and let me do the talking.  Let me answer the questions.  You give the answers.'  I admit I once lived by rumors of You; now I have it all firsthand - from my own eyes and ears!  I'm sorry -- forgive me.  I'll never do that again, I promise!  I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor."


So, God...I ask that you give me faith and steadfastness like Job.  Keep me in the place where my heart attitude is one of "You can do anything and everything.  Nothing and no one can upset your plans."  Help me to not second-guess Your purposes in my life.  Keep me from being like one of the four "friends" who tried to offer counsel...help me to be a friend who listens and points everything to You.  May my life be a reflection of Your glory...may I not try to keep any of it for myself...for it all belongs to You.  You alone are holy. You alone are worthy.  You alone are God.

No comments:

Post a Comment