Saturday, April 9, 2011

Grateful...


That one word sums up my heart attitude this morning - grateful. Reading through the book of Exodus and all of the ceremonies and rules and details of the old covenant...the manner in which Aaron and his sons were anointed for service, the offerings made, the process, the ceremony. It's enough to make my head spin. How ever did they keep all those details straight?  It's not like they had a simple way of recording the words of God.  They could not just quickly download them as a .pdf file and store them on their laptop for future use. Did God bless Moses with a superhuman ability to remember? He told all of these things to Moses on the mountain...and Moses had to remember them and put them into practice after he descended to once again be with the people of Israel. I suppose much of my trouble in reading through this passage comes from the fact that it is so unfamiliar to my current-day Christianity...animal sacrifice, priestly garments, law, law, law.

Jesus made it clear in Matthew 22:37-38, the greatest commandment is to "'love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." Two commands...this sums up the law and the prophets. Yet, even with only two commands, I mess up royally on a moment-by-moment basis.

Through Jesus, a new covenant was made. His blood flowed, and by it I am washed clean. His death purchased for me the righteousness of God. May I live in the light of this promise, filled with the knowledge that He died in my place...that I am reconciled to God, cleansed of my sin...completely and wholly undeserved. Thank you Jesus! May my heart continue to overflow with gratefulness for all You have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment